Sunday, August 26, 2012

Grammatical Error

Taking on a grammar course this semester will present its number of difficulties. I will admit I really know nothing about grammar besides the basics taught to us in grade school, and so I definitely feel like a newb. So with that said, the grammatical and mechanical issues I need to work on as a writer includes pretty much all of them. As I said before I understand the basics of grammar, such as where to place commas, periods, semi-colons, etc, but beyond those basics, my knowledge is limited.
            Already within this post I can tell that I need to work on how I phrase sentences, and how to place interjections and whatnot. I like to think that I can easily formulate my thoughts into words and then records those down into writing, but at times they don’t make much sense. I tend to begin sentences and thoughts and then interrupt them with other thoughts. I would say that I don’t know how to properly phrase my sentences. Most of the time they are all over the place, which someone reading this could probably tell.
            Going along with how to phrase sentences, knowing where to place proper commas and periods plays it part as well. A lot of my sentences tend to run on and make little sense. Sometimes I like to think that if my sentences are longer and more complex then I will sound smarter. But in reality that only makes me sound like I have no idea what I’m talking about. So this semester I need to focus on making my sentences a bit shorter and more concise.

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I hope this course gives you confidence to do just the opposite: take control of those long sentences and make them ever more complex and interesting (i.e., "long"). Along the way, you will learn more about punctuation, which is help you do just that: take control.

    Pattern of the week?

    ReplyDelete